Beginner Beekeeping Ep 1 – The difference between a Flow™ Hive and a Langstroth hive

Flow Hive’s backyard beekeeping expert Louise looks at the differences between the most common types of beehives to help you decide which is the best choice for you.

honeyflow.com

Disclaimer: Beekeeping requires specialist skills, carries inherent dangers, and is often subject to regulation. It is your responsibility, prior to placing bees in your hive and on an ongoing basis, to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and codes of practice in your area, and acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for healthy, safe beekeeping. Instructional content we provide is intended as a general guide only and may not be applicable to your specific circumstances. If in doubt, seek assistance from your local authority, a professional beekeeping service or your nearest beekeeping association.

• Rating:
  • Views:54,849 views
  • Tags: -
  • Categories: Beekeeping

Comments

Фёдор Райс says:

Invite the group to accommodate species : https://vk.com/club56512510

Vicki Burke says:

So excited to get started. This is my first year beekeeping and we were one of the first 500 people to support the campaign with our purchase of a Full Flow Hive. I also purchased a traditional Langstroth hive and will be doing them side by side (I may even bee replacing the homey super with flow frames next year if all goes well). I enjoy this series of videos. Thanks for taking care of your customers. My bees are arriving April 30th. I am getting two 5 frame NUCS. I have one question. After putting the 8 frames together for the brood box, why is there so much space left. There can clearly fit one more frame in there? I'm using foundation, but even if there was natural comb built there would still be lots of room I imagine. Thanks, Vicki Burke from the USA

John Jeppsson says:

I am super excited to get the flow hive!

Maxim Tuller says:

Flow should make 10 frame body! + totally trashing regular hive !

Wesley Chesnut says:

If I need to add another brood box what size do I need, a 8 frame box or 10 frame box?

Janez Jelen says:

wanderfull, God with you!

Tony Hester says:

Harvesting is a small part of responsibly keeping bees. If you are enthralled by beekeeping, and believe that all you have to do is populate a Flow Hive, then tap your honey as desired, you'll likely kill the hive. There is SO much more to beekeeping than turning a handle. If you are unprepared to do the other inspections and chores, you are not ready to bee keep. One great idea, though, is to contact your local bee keeping group and offer your free labor to a bee keeper friend. It will not cost you anything more than petrol, and give you the opportunity to realistically evaluate if you should start bee keeping Before spending all the money on Any hive. I have had many folks tag along with me and they love it. Most also admit that it is more involved than they imagined. It is interesting that the Langstroth hives showcased are very old, poorly maintained, and a negative representation of most apiaries. A simpler way of beekeeping on a small scale is to use a top bar hive. I have kept both Langstroth and top bar. I enjoyed top bar better by far. It is a simpler set up, less expensive, and easier to manage than Langstroth. You can make your own TBH for less than $100.

SuperGrowPlants says:

but you get beeswax with the regular ones, beeswax is a great product. so i prefer langstroth.

connor allen says:

i feel like this will take the fun out of bee keeping…

Bee Bob says:

Where is the evidence to letting bees draw their own comb without foundation?
I'd like to know why you make the job of extraction a horrible experience?
You are promoting beekeepers to NOT inspect their hives which is dangerous to the apiary.

Frederick Dunn says:

Very VERY nice…. thank you for sharing and also for the informative comparison… Here in the U.S., I am stunned by how many people who don't have the FlowHive, take action and insult any bee keeper who even considers getting them. My mind is open and I'm very much looking forward to evaluating the FlowHive myself.. the kit just arrived in the mail this week.. we're mid-winter, so will have to wait. In the meantime, these videos are very helpful for those of us who are looking forward to the technology. THANKS!

mbot565 says:

Thank you so much for doing the series.

Matthew Rahim says:

more more more I'm very in stressed in bees

totalripper says:

Great video! Looking forward to watching more videos from your channel. Keep it up :)

Dean says:

Interesting idea/product. This is a good series.
Is Louise originally from Yorkshire? I like it when peoples accents come through on certain words.

Edward Ridgeway says:

With that small of a brood area and forcing the bees through a queen excluder, do you really only have to check for swarm cells twice a year? It's weekly during the flow here in NE USA – Thanks.

winston maraj says:

Can this work in hot climates with africanised bees?

Bradley Hatton-Jones says:

is there restrictions to have small beehive in residential area around gold coast?

AD Homesteading says:

Thank you for doing this series.

Nels says:

You know, I like your harvesting idea and I have bought some frames. We really need you to put videos out from other parts of the world. You guys have it easier is AUS (Because of no mites). Harvesting honey is the last thing on my mind when it comes to beekeeping and you don't mention that at all. Yes honey is good and that's all people think about, but common, do more realistic videos, show an apiary in the UK, CAN, USA, or Africa with flow hives on them and beeks doing inspections. Your only pushing the harvesting part and not showing how to be a beekeeper and what goes into it.

t00 sp00ky says:

I love these! I am gonna buy some when I settle down!

Invictus says:

Hey, I really appreciate you making these beginner guides. Please keep making more, until the bees have no more secrets!

lonefoxbushcraft says:

do you have to buy a queen bee or will one find its way there ?

Bismuth LD says:

is the flowhive out for purchase yet?

Nels says:

Twice a year for brood inspections? Must be because you don't have to deal with Varroa… once a week for me sometimes more during non flow times…

YOUVE BEEN HACKED says: