Grafting And Raising Queen Honeybees

I show how I raise queen cells by grafting larvae into a hopelessly queenless cell starter, and the next day transferring the grafts into a queenright cell finisher hive. 10 days after grafting, the cells are ready to use, and the virgins will emerge a day later.

Comments

scott33761 says:

This is a very good video, I watched it before and did not realize just how good it is, it must be a sleeper the more I watch it the better I like it. Thanks from NW Indiana.

Igor Skakovsky says:

Thanks for good instructions.
In my best hive where brood just as good as you show in your video I am having hard time to find young enough larva. The one I have seeing so far look larger and I see no royal jelly in it. Any comments?

never2late454 says:

Great video, You do it the same way I was taught years ago. Only difference is I use a nuc as a cell starter. I will have to build a screen box and give it a try. any way you can give a little more detail on the lower part of the cell starter, How it is put together?

Eugege Bell says:

Thank you!
I have been watching all the Queen Rearing videos I can find, I have read many Queen Rearing books, and I took one Queen Rearing class. Last year I reared 30 Queens and got two, I consider that a success. But, still I have had several questions. Your video just answered my outstanding questions. You also gave me several new ideas. Best video ever! Thanks again!

Scott K. says:

What do you do with all those queens once they are ready to hatch?  I would like to raise my own queens eventually but I only want to try like 2 at a time.

All Mighty says:

Hey we love your videos! We've been working with bees for a while but really want to make a split using OUR OWN QUEENS, as these are some incredible little bees we have. Your videos are some of the best and easiest to follow. Thank you for taking the time to make them. You're awesome.

jessicamshannon says:

Why have I spent the past hour learning about raising queen bees and proper introduction? I don't even like bees, I don't even have a backyard of my own. And yet Ive become entranced in the mesmerizing world of internet bees and beekeeping. Is this how they lure you in? You're hypnotized by relaxing bee videos until "Whoops! what's this? oh now there's a bunch of hives in my backyard and all my clothes are made of nets all of a sudden! Huh. I was just watching internet videos but I Guess Im a beekeeper now"

VidSmoFit says:

I wouldn't give them syrup to make them "well fed" I would just reduce the number of queen cells being made, or change the ratio of workers, comb, stores, and brood. Syrup makes unhealthy bees.

Jeffrey Braddock says:

was it only honey and pollen in the starter box? and have you ever tried grafting eggs?

Gumbi says:

Can you do a video showing how to make your lower screened piece?  I like the looks of it and it seems sturdier than most I have seen and would like to be able to make one!

Honey Bee Born says:

Could you tell me where you get your screened box that holds your sponge?
It is a wonderful video, and I like the idea of the small cell starter.

Arctic Circle says:

Bravo…

Bruno Sulikowski says:

I don't know I got that name from, sorry
I'll have to work in some brood tomorrow. They have plenty of food.
Ohio

Bruno Sulikowski says:

Harvey today I setup a mannlake twin mini nuc. I cut honey comb and fitted it to a frame for each side. 2 frames of foundation for each side as well. Feeding high protein Polin blocks in the feeding well.
Next I took 2 cells and placed one in each side. While I was transfering them I noticed they were turning brown at the ends saw movement in one looking through light.
Than shook bees from 3 brood frame's from 2 hives. Now I'm thinking I have to keep them locked up for a day or 2. I'm sure some of the bees will return to their hive if I left it open. Your thought leave them locked up? They have good venting in nuc.
Beesbuzz52

Bruno Sulikowski says:

Next I took 2 cells and placed one in each side. While I was transfering them I noticed they were turning brown at the ends saw movement in one looking through at light.
Your thought on them being locked up? They have good venting in nuc.
Thanks
Beesbuzz52

Bruno Sulikowski says:

Thank you for responding I will add a foundation.
One more question I used jz bz cups lined with wax and when I tried to look through cell with the sun behind I did see a immature queen, but it didnt seem like it moves.
Is that normal?