How To Feed Honey Bees To Help Build A Strong Hive

As a beekeeper I feel it is my stewardship to properly care for my honey bees. One way I do that is to help the hive get a strong start for the upcoming Spring. The larger the hive the more nectar and pollen they can collect to store and feed the hive. I will also be splitting my hives and by giving them food before the flowers blossom the queen will start laying eggs and building up the hive so there will be plenty of bees for both the existing and new hives. Here I show the easy and fast way I feed my honey bees.

RESOURCES:

– Brushy Mountain Bee Farm: http://BrushyMountainBeeFarm.com

– Backyard Beekeeper (I highly recommend this awesome book): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592536077/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1592536077&linkCode=as2&tag=yt0c-20

– My Beekeeping Video Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1458B0D300873766

Comments

Fadzilicious says:

is there any chance african bees would take coke, i live in zimbabwe but i am struggling to feed bees in our yard, the jacaranda (big completely flowered pruple trees) are in season but they are in an old tractor. it was really buzzing now they aren't really. Is there anyway to really make them fat? i don't really care if they pollinate anything i just want the biggest and strongest hive for satisfaction purposes :D. How do i do that? we put the coke in an ice cream tub lid? an put it as close as possible i got stung like twice

David Fernandes says:

I know you live near my could you advise me as to some bee keeper that might be willing to answer questions when I get into a situation which happened to me and I had no one to call to ask for information if you do please let them know my facebook name is David Fernandes of Coldspring Tx

josh turner says:

Only feed honey to bees if a particular hive made that honey. Otherwise it could have been infected by any sort of bacteria native to different hives, plus you're just increasing the likelihood of spreading bee related illness's, and never feed your bees store bought honey. Most store brands have been heat treated . And most of the enzymes have been depleted or mixed with corn syrup in massive batches. Which bees cannot process for very long and will result in a dead hive.

josh turner says:

I would recommend you boil the tap water before you mix your sugar syrup. There are a host of chemicals in tap water that could negatively affect your hives. Many research studies have confirmed that many chemicals are benign but when mixed with other chemicals such as pesticides, which are everywhere can have devastating results. The UK is certain this is the reason for many hives collapsing. Please distill your water, 20 minutes of boiling and cooling will result in a healthier hive.

Steve Jackson says:

While 1/3 loss is a good general figure many lose a far greater number. I lost 3 of 5 and another larger apiary lost 60 of 100. My losses were wax moths (2) and the third is a mystery: no bees, no honey, no pollen and no brood, just an empty hive and it was strong at winters onset. I discovered this when I went out to feed my weak hive and noted no activity at hive entrance. Bees are fascinating and puzzling.

rbkb2 says:

Yeah, bees… Thanks for sharing.

Roger

afrohman1 says:

If you live in a climit with snow what do you do to help the bee's make it through winter?

bihbgm says:

You have been so busy doing good works .Thank you for sharing.I hope all your subscibers appreciate your videos as much as I do.

ratherbecampin says:

I hope you will find pleasure in knowing that you started a fire in me when you first started showing us your beesa couple of years ago.  I will be starting my beekeeping classes next Thursday at my local beekeepers association.  I have already made arrangements to pick up a full working hive in March from a man that has kept bees for almost 50 years now.  I really enjoy your channel and feel blessed in many ways from it.  Thank you for what you do.

Titus Napoleon says:

Nice. Gonna go feed my bees now! Thanks!

Jon Simmons says:

leave em the honey

TheDigitalWeb says:

I was considering bee keeping as a full time hobby/part time job.    So……if I have 9 hives, do you mean I will really lose 3 a year…?

Super1builder says:

"If you are prepared, you shall not fear." Sounds good, just not realistic. There is ALWAYS fear of the unknown….. right?
Good vid David.

sha whit says:

great info David. Still record low temps here in Michigan. Schools still closed. Snowed in. Dreaming of tulips blooming and honey bees buzzing around the blossoms…wind chills of 20+ below, praying for the bees to stay warm. Just wanted to say, a study of honey bees in Canada said that planting oregano around your yard and around the hives is a deterrent to bee mites.

dafrogtoad says:

I have been feeding all winter…hoping for a population explosion in the spring, leading to a split.

pickerick1 says:

Great video   Just wondering something. Do you have any idea what killed your third hive? I know it's kinda normal to lose some as you said. It's also good to know what happened, any idea's?

Love2boat92 says:

Great video! I've always wanted to get into bee keeping.

Megahs2010 says:

Recently fed mine crystallised honey, I will try your method if syrup making when it gets warmer – cheers

Jason Pedersen says:

LDSPrepper. This is a great video. One note to those bee keepers that live in harsh winter climates – this method is not recommended due to the high moister that it adds to the hive.  When I feed my bees during the winter, I make my water/sugar solution very thick then I leave it out for a day or two in order for the extra water to evaporate. You are left with a hard sugar surface that the bees will enjoy for weeks.